After writing a blog post a few weeks ago on ways to return to normality after a book launch and the writing break which is required, I have done no such thing! So I’m definitely failing at practising what I preach.
Here are some things I haven’t done recently:
- Blogged, or visited many of you
- Kept up with my social media marketing strategy, which tends towards the ad hoc in any case
- Written to-dos in my diary – the pages are startlingly blank
- Read a book which wasn’t my own
Here are some things I have done:
- Completed another round of edits on my novel-in-progress which I decided last week should be a novella and proceeded to cut around 2000 words
- Got a cold
- Updated all the headers on my social media – see above
- Lost some research questions I need for Tuesday
- Part of my newsletter for November! (Nope, I don’t know why either)
- Stared into space thinking of all the things I should be doing
Actually, editing – especially when I’ve had to read the darn book twice all the way through! – is no easy feat, so perhaps I should give myself a break. I’m now moving on to the synopsis-writing stage, which is such a difficult task.
You’d think it would come easy to the person who’s just spent the last 6/12/18 months writing the thing, but no. I have two completely different versions – one I sat down to create, the other which appeared from nowhere while I was in the shower and had to scramble to scribble down on the back of an envelope.
I’m planning to get back on track. I’m restarting my Interview With… series later this month and my diary is looking slightly more full with things I really ought to do.